As The Voice of Retail™, RCC is here to help retailers navigate through this crisis.
- Top 5 things to consider while re-opening stores in apparel retailCanadian apparel retailers face a unique set of challenges re-opening stores during a period of uncertain demand, over-supply of seasonal merchandise, and new health … Continued
- Top 5 things to consider while re-opening dine-in restaurantsRe-opening restaurants for dine-in services in Canada will require careful planning by operators, given capacity limitations, new health and safety measures, and disrupted supply … Continued
- Is it better to source food locally or globally?Although the debate over sourcing food locally versus globally has … Continued
- Top 5 things to consider while re-opening stores in apparel retailCanadian apparel retailers face a unique set of challenges re-opening … Continued
- Top 5 things to consider while re-opening dine-in restaurantsRe-opening restaurants for dine-in services in Canada will require careful … Continued
- Mandatory mask policy for every commercial business in Windsor-Essex in OntarioThe Windsor Essex County Health Unit announced a mandatory mask … Continued
- Stats Canada releases April retail sales numbersThis morning’s release of sales numbers were substantially worse than … Continued
- Federally-backed tracking app announcedPrime Minister Justin Trudeau said today he hopes Canadians will … Continued
- PEI budget features small business tax cutThe PEI government was unable to table a budget in … Continued
- BC requirement for cannabis retail stores to have non-transparent walls removed and online responsible-service training for employees mandatedBC has announced changes to the legal non-medical cannabis industry … Continued
- Temporary training program to support employers in SaskatchewanThe Government of Saskatchewan has announced a new temporary training … Continued
- Rehiring subsidy launched in ManitobaThe Manitoba government is launching a new hiring grant program … Continued
- Ontario eviction moratorium passedThe Ontario government passed the Protecting Small Business Act, which … Continued
- BC Centre for Disease Control updates guidance on bulk bins, reusable containers and wearing masksThe BC Centre for Disease Control has updated guidance information … Continued
- Update: Flexibility on pre-packed meat labelling approvedThe Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) indicated this morning it … Continued
- Temporary layoffs extended and essential worker ‘top-up’ applications open in Newfoundland and LabradorTemporary layoffs extended The government has extended temporary layoffs which … Continued
- Sole proprietors and family-owned corporations now qualify for CEBAIndependent retailers are critical in creating strong communities and a … Continued
View more federal and regional updates on our Relief Measures by Regions page.
In these challenging times, RCC welcomes all retailers across Canada to subscribe to our Retail Policy Updates & COVID-19 News and attend our Webinars for Retailers. We are your voice during this crisis and beyond.
Videos and Podcasts
COVID-19: Handling, packaging and shipping food
The Voice of Retail Podcast
Find out how resilience as part of their brand is helping health and beauty retailer Deciem through the COVID-19 crisis. Also, Bryan Pearson, former CEO of Loyalty One/Airmiles, talks about the changing face of loyalty in the COVID-19 era.
View RCC’s Retail Recovery Playbook as well as checklists and templates.
Non-essential retail re-opening dates as announced by region
Frequently asked questions from our members on working through COVID-19 and its operational challenges.
Updates and current COVID-19 measures in place both federally and in each province and territory.
Many municipalities and utility companies have delayed their deadlines for property tax payments and utility bills.
RCC has summarized the latest regulations on curbside pickup.
Posters, SOPs and best practices for retailers during COVID-19
Services available for RCC members and access to webinar recordings.
RCC is here to assist retailers in finding employees, while also helping displaced workers find jobs.
Financial support and payroll resources
- Federal support:
- RCC’s guide to Federal relief measures (see Federal “Support for business” section)
- Understanding the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
- Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy – Backgrounder
- Government of Canada Work-Share overview and contact
- Loans for small & medium businesses: Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
- Provincial support: RCC’s guide to relief measures and updates (see “Support for business” section for your region)
- Municipal support: RCC’s database of utility payment extensions, municipal relief and more
- Rent support for small businesses: Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small
- Payroll: Canadian Payroll Association on ROE coding
- Workers’ compensation: 2020 provincial workers’ compensation updates for retailers
- Stewardship programs: Stewardship Programs Offering COVID-19 Deadline Extensions
Maintaining your business
- Curbside Pickup: RCC’s curbside pickup for eCommerce cheat sheet
- Consumer education: #ShopSmart campaign – Guidelines shoppers should follow during COVID-19 (RCC)
- Pandemic planning for retailers: COVID-19 planning checklist for retailers (RCC)
- Business continuity: A guide to robust business continuity planning (KPMG)
- Impact on consumer behaviour: Tracking the impact of FMCG, retail and media (Neilson)
- Consumers surveys: Tracking surveys (Leger)
- Guide for senior executives: The heart of resilient leadership: Responding to COVID-19 (Deloitte)
- Emergency planning: 8 steps for planning your emergency and disaster plan (BDC)
- Impact on Canadian retailers: COVID-19 Voice of Canadians and impact to retailers (Deloitte)
- Resources for retailers: Retail Industry Leaders Association
- Fraud Prevention: Tips to protect yourself from COVID-19 related payment scams (Interac)
- Cyber Security: Helpful advice for small and medium organizations to protect against COVID-19-related threats
- Statistics: Info on COVID-19 (Statistics Canada)
Thank you to the retailers, vendors and suppliers who have extended financial support to Retail Council of Canada to help us continue to advocate for you 24/7 during these difficult times.